do first?
Where do I
save my
files?
What is re-
imaging?
IBM ThinkPad T61
FAQ’s
1. What is the hardware configuration of the IBM Think Pad T61?
FDU ThinkPad T61 Widescreen
Genuine Windows® XP Professional
Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.0GHz
14.1" Display
802.11 a/b/g
Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
1GB RAM
100GB Hard Drive
Multiburner drive
128MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS
Embedded Security Subsystem 2.0
2. Do I need to keep the box, user manuals and packaging materials that I received
along with my laptop?
NO! We no longer need to return the ThinkPad in its original box and packaging materials
in three years as we have in the past.
3. What are the first things that I should do in order to use my new laptop computer?
Charge the battery completely before using. (See FAQ #14 for Battery information)
Browse through the Setup Guide and read this FAQ.
4. Where do I save my files?
You must store all of your files (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.) in the
“My Documents” folder, which is located on the D: drive. By saving all of your personal
files on the D: drive, you will safely prevent your files from being erased during any future
re-imaging.
5. What is re-imaging?
Re-imaging is the process of using your laptop’s C: drive for installation of an operating
system and university licensed software. As we provide updates and solve problems, the
method of re-imaging simply wipes out what you currently have on your laptop’s C: drive
and replaces it with the updated software installation on your laptop. The actual re-imaging
takes only ten minutes to be completed by a computer center staff member.
BIOS Setup 6. Should I setup a password in the BIOS?
NO! DO NOT GO INTO THE BIOS SETUP! We cannot change, erase or reset any
password that you may create in the BIOS. If you put a password in the BIOS setup,
only IBM can fix it and they will charge FDU to do so.
Returning
the laptop
How do I set
the date and
time?
7. When should I return my laptop?
You will be returning your laptop when either the lease is up or if you are leaving the
University. If you are leaving the University, please return the laptop computer to the Center for Teaching
and Learning with Technology. You will be notified when the lease has expired.
8. How do I set the time and date?
Your computer’s internal clock may not be set on the correct time when you first turn the
laptop on. Check the time box (clock) at the bottom right of the screen (on the taskbar). If
you need to change the time, click on Start=>Settings=>Control Panel. Then double click
on the icon Date/Time and set the correct time, date and time zone.
Center for Teaching and Learning with Technology