Open as PDF
GE Zenith Controls 3
ZBTS / ZBTSD Operation and Maintenance Manual (71R-4000A)
The engine-start terminals are clearly identified by a
label on the microcontroller backplate. In the case of
manual transfer switches, or in other applications not
requiring the microprocessor, clearly marked terminal
blocks are provided in the upper left corner of the con-
trol panel for the engine start control wires.
Figure 2 shows location of engine start connections
for Bypass Isolation Transfer Switch. Figure 6 (pg.5)
shows location of engine start connections for
Automatic Transfer Switch.
Terminals for field connections to the A3 Source 2
auxiliary contacts and the A4 Source 1 auxiliary contacts
are also provided. These terminals are clearly marked
and appear on the side of the power panel. On 400
amp metal frame units these terminals appear on
the bracket above the operator handle.
Before proceeding, refer to the information package
supplied with the ATS and read and understand the
information on all accessories provided.
1. Unlock the enclosure.
2. Open the enclosure.
3. Verify the correct system voltage.
NOTE:The equipment rating nameplate on
the transfer switch lists the voltage.
4. Close Source 1 circuit. breaker.
: The controller will illuminate Source 1
Available LED if proper voltage is sensed.
5. Verify the phase to phase voltages at Source 1
6. Close Source 2 circuit breaker.
7. Start the generator’s engine.
: The controller will illuminate Source 2
when preset voltage
and frequency levels are reached.
8. Verify the phase to phase voltages at Source 1
9. Verify that the phase rotation of Source 1
is the same as the phase rotation of
10. Shut down the generator’s engine.
11. Place the starting control in the
12. Complete the visual inspection of the transfer switch.
13. Close the enclosure.
14. Lock the enclosure.14. Lock the enclosure.
Figure 3 (Typical)
TING: VOLTS -
GE Zenith Controls
(Can Cause Severe Injury or Death)
Turn OFF all power before installation, adjustment, or removal of transfer switch or any of its components.
Contact rating is
10 Ampere at 120VAC
or 28VDC Gold plated
Certain accessories, per specific
schematics, can inhibit automatic transfer.
Engine Gen-Set could start when
engine control wires are attached.