Open as PDF
Technical users who know how to use a regular expression (RE) benefit most
from using the special characters in a rule.
11.3.2 Defining a Data Message
What you need to know
You can define messages from a customer device as:
• customer-device events for Multi, during a maintenance session, by using the
Data Recording tab (illustrated in figure 80). This is usually best handled by
your Multi SA.
- or using -
• ad hoc means, by typing in a data rule and using regular expressions.
Fig. 80. The rule for a customer event can be viewed on the Data Recording tab.
Before defining customer events, a View operator needs:
• specific rights in an operator account: (a) the Modify configuration right and (b)
access to the site that is plugged into the customer-device.
• to know how rules (“strings” of text) are formatted by the customer device.
• confirmation that the Multi SA has configured Multi to use the customer
Listing customer devices
Let us suppose that the owner of a retail store wants to obtain video of an employee at a
point of sale (POS), when goods are purchased.
Assume that a cash register is connected to a Multi-Media unit. Your Multi SA has
consulted the manufacturer of the cash register to obtain its communication settings and
configured Multi to use the unit.